After spending the past week improving our first paper prototype, today we have finally tested out our new updated version and gathered some useful feedback which would help guide us towards our high fidelity product.
We mostly focused on changing the sections that testers found confusing last week and used their feedback to build and improve on top of our first paper prototype since there was generally good feedback to suggest that we already had a solid structure.
The were a few recurring issues that users spotted and found confusing. These were:
- The Hamburger icon and its use was not well identified.
- It was not clear who testers were shopping for in capture mode.
- Some feedback bars were mistaken for input buttons.
- Some buttons broke the app navigation fluency.
We decided to look at each individual point separately to ensure that we could really focus on improving the problem that our users found difficult. We thought that this was the best way of approaching the task as we would not be distracted by the issues of other interface elements and could work on improving one aspect until it was perfected.
Analysing each problem that was reported helped us to come up with our current updated paper prototype which is starting to take shape and is getting closer to out final high fidelity prototype.
As well as getting external users to test our product, we also thought it would be beneficial to test the prototype among ourselves. From doing this, we found that the hamburger button was not really useful as it would only contain two buttons: a help section, and a button to update who you were shopping for. We realised that the hamburger icon did not directly convey this information and so decided to swap the hamburger icon with something that users would easily recognise as an ‘update member’ function:
There was also an issue with the profile customisation page we found – specifically the allergy selection process. To improve the page, we tried to make the interface clearer. For instance, once the user selects their dietary requirements from the list, we had a box which contained their options. However, the placement of this box was confusing as many people thought this to be a button that could be interacted with. In order to resolve this, we moved the box just below the list so that the user would first see the list and then a clear feedback when they added their allergies.
Finally most testers found it difficult to understand who they were shopping for when they were on the camera section. To attempt to resolve this issue, we found a temporary solution before the second prototype test and then a final one after completing it.
The first solution would work together with the new swap member icon that we have just added;
when users open the icon, a list of active members would pop up with the option of adding new ones. The problem we encountered, was still the visibility of the icon;
a majority of our testers barely saw the new icon design and skipped over it.
The change we made after the second round of testing seemed to be the best option as users understood the section better. We added the icon next to the scanning button to make it more visible and user accessible. When you user clicks on the icon, a bar would pop up vertically along the screen capture and shows the current people you are shopping for and the option of adding more shoppers directly from the bar.