Earlier today we presented our product to a panel of judges as part of a mini-competition with our fellow classmates. There were 8 groups in total each offering something different, ranging from bike safety equipment to personal health applications.
There were some interesting and innovative products on display and ultimately Droplets, a customised insulin pump with accompanying smartphone applications, came out the winners.
However, all was not lost! We were the runners-up in the competition, receiving many positive comments from the judges.
The experience has been valuable and the judges have given us much to think about in terms of improvements we could make to the functionality, interface and infrastructure of the app.
As we’re using an iterative approach to design we performed yet another round of testing with users to gather feedback about the design. With each round of feedback we have found it rather interesting to observe the various points that people have identified with the prototypes with problems noted become increasingly specific and fine-grained. Hopefully this means we are on track with our design and that the eventual product will be a highly usable app.
The noted issues in the version were mainly in specific UI elements that behaved differently than expected or indicated something that they weren’t intended to do. They included the following:
The indicators on the new change members section which showed green for a currently active shopping member and red for an inactive member were found to be confusing for some users with them being interpreted as indicating the suitable
When tapping on some buttons (the Foodgies Family button on the main menu in particular) the animation showed a “slide right” animation which gave a false impression of the order of action since it looks like the app is going back instead of forwards to a new screen. This was disorienting some users
On the select members screen at the start of the shopping trip, though the checkboxes could be tapped to add/remove members, users found they couldn’t tap on the names of members to perform these actions
To resolve these issues the second version of the high fidelity was modified to include the following:
The change member indicator were changed to show a green ringed circle with a white background for active and grey for inactive
The animations for various screen transitions were modified to wipe in the direction that better made sense in terms of the app’s overall hierarchy
The names on the member select screen now perform the same function as the checkboxes when adding and removing members from a shopping session
After taking on board feedback from individuals during our paper prototype testing we decided to make various changes to improve navigation, particularly in the capture mode, to help make it easier for users to use the app.
The main changes were as follows:
Changed the back icon in the capture mode to a menu button instead
Add a view shoppers button for easy access to current active shoppers
A simplified capture button which can capture both barcodes or the whole product
Product information pages make it clearer who a product is and isn’t for
Earlier today we tested the paper prototype that we collectively designed to model our mobile app. We created a number of different tasks that we wanted the user to complete in order to help identify keys problems with the user interface. The areas we focused on were:
creating a new user account
adding food allergies of household members
scanning products to identify their allergy content
We performed testing with three people all who had different levels of experience with diet monitoring applications.
Overall, the impression that users gave us was quite positive. They were impressed with the simplicity of the app and the general ease of use for common tasks. However, one of the main areas which was identified as a weakness was in changing up the active users mid shop which was confusing for all of our users; they later told us that the “hamburger” wasn’t an obvious way to achieve this. Other things which were noted were that some elements such as info bars appeared to be tappable when in fact they were not.
We are going to use this feedback to make a number of changes including the following:
changing the hamburger icon to a “swap users” button
reposition some of the feedback bars so that it is less likely to be perceived as tappable
more visibility on the capture screen of who is being shopped for
relabelling of some buttons to make it clearer as where they take would take the user
We will perform another round of testing with these new changes before we move to the final stage of prototyping where we will produce a high-fidelity prototype.
Having individually created paper prototypes for the project we decided to meet to discuss some of the pros and cons of our various individual designs. Based on upon our discussions we decided to create a new version which incorporated some the most sensible design concepts from each of prototype.
We started by creating wireframes on paper that highlighted the order that a user can perform certain actions. The wireframe is shown below:
We then went about creating the prototype that we will use on Monday to perform some initial testing with potential users of the product. The prototype is shown below: